4/15/13

Trendspotting: How To Shop for Trendy Items

 
Have you ever seen an item of clothing that you liked, but considered trendy, and were unsure if you should buy it?  Fashion trends rip the runway several times per year.  Unless you're a full-time fashionista, with a baller budget, It's hard to keep up with it all.  If you want to stay knowlegeable about trends, without much time/money investment, utilize magazines and fashion websites (like this one).  Magazine editors do a great job of breaking down the trends that they spot at the seasonal runway shows. Purchase your favorite fashion magazine when they publish their hot trend issue at the start of each new season; it will save you time and money.  An even more affordable option would be to subscribe to fashion blogs, and have the information delivered to your in-box. The printed pants above were from Rebecca Minkoff's Spring 2013 show, which was held in September of 2012. 
 
 Another way to keep up with trends is by noticing what is being worn by celebrities, and what items are carried in trend-driven junior clothing departments. For example, I saw Heidi Klum wearing a black and white printed jean on Project Runway and loved the look on her.  This inspired me to keep an eye out for a similar pair. Within the same week, I saw these jeans advertised on Target's website,  but I still wasn't sure that I wanted to spend any money on such a trendy item...UNTIL!


I saw them a few weeks later (while shopping for toothpaste or something, of course) for $11.48!!  I made my decision to buy these jeans after they met all my requirements for purchasing a trendy item; 1. I loved the print,  2.  The price was right,  3.They flattered my figure.  For the budget concious, it's best to wait until at least the beginning of a new season to get the best possible price on those items that you feel kinda push you out of your fashion comfort zone.  For example, retailers purchase (and sometimes stock) spring trends in the winter, so by the time the actual spring months arrive, they have to mark clothing down in order to make room for merchandise they are purchasing for the upcoming seasons.

In part two of this article, I'll show you how I plan to incorporate these pants into my spring wardrobe.

No comments:

Post a Comment